my version of reality

why see things as they are when you can believe whatever you want to?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Our differences have made all the difference

Chadwick and I are so incompatible.

I like to go to bed early and get lots of sleep and he's happy to live on just a few hours a night.
I think video games are lame and he can stay up all night (see above) playing them.
I like to swear and he finds it repulsive. (this was the first thing we ever argued about, before we were even dating, and we still do to this day)
He likes to smoke various substances and I have asthma.
I'm introverted and he's extroverted.
I'm not sure about God and he is.
I'm always cold and he's always hot.
He loves playing sports and I make a point to never run.
He loves watching sports and I think sport team alliances are ridiculous.
He likes to go to church and I find Christians irritating.
I grew up on a farm under a rock in Missouri and he grew up in an apartment building in the middle of a city in a Turkey...

We got married young, but "growing up together" can be less like a topiary and more like a prairie. It's not so much that we balance each other out, but that these differences give us the necessary "spaces in our togetherness" that Khalil Gibran talks about. If we agreed on everything, one of us would be unnecessary. It's the spaces that give us the room to be individuals (independence is one thing we do have in common) and also make us need each other, two seemingly dichotomous results. And it's these dichotomies that make us so wonderfully happy together. He's bossy, I'm bratty, and it's amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home